|Boating Through the Swinnomish Channel|
A sketch is a quick study. It may record a memory or a visual idea, or something you see in front of you. I particularly enjoy sketching something in front of me in watercolor. Why?
- While sketching, I enter into the beauty of what I am seeing.
- I sharpen my observation skills as I note shape, color, value.
- I let go of preconceived ideas of what things look like. For example, a tree is not just green.
- The colors and lines I use express my feelings about the object as well as my general state of mind.
- I let go of daily worries and fears and enter into a state of peaceful rapport with my subject.
- I capture treasured memories, like this one of gliding through the Swinnomish Channel in my sailboat.