|Pen or Pencil? They leave different looks to your finished sketch.|
I also recommend working small, on a size that can be easily carried and easily matted. You will need:
- A sketch book of watercolor paper or hand made paper, no bigger than 6"x9" ( I currently prefer 6"x8" to fit a mat with a 5.5"x7.5" window). It is easier to remove sketches for matting and framing from a spiral bound sketchbook. A hard cover sketchbook with perfect binding, on the other hand, is great for those travel moments you want to keep together.
- One or two brushes. I use a #8 flat and a #8 round. Sometimes I do a whole painting with just one brush.
- Four colors of paint: the primaries and Burnt Umber. I like Alizeran Crimson, New Gambouge, and Ultramarine Blue. Eventually you will want to add a warm red, a cool yellow, and Cerulian Blue. I'll talk more about warm and cool colors later.
- A water tight container with water
- Paper towel
- Two or Three yogurt lids for palates (or any lid at least 3" in diameter) and a plastic bag to keep them in (so they won't get paint all over the inside of your back pack when you are finished painting)
- Pen or Pencil and eraser
- masking tape (optional)